View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

The New Sex Ed? How 'Teen Mom' Helped Lower Teen Birth Rate Vide
PostSubject: The New Sex Ed? How 'Teen Mom' Helped Lower Teen Birth Rate   The New Sex Ed? How 'Teen Mom' Helped Lower Teen Birth Rate Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 3:17 am

The teen birth rate in the United States has reached a new low, and that news has some psychologists wondering if they have been unfairly critical of television shows that spotlight pregnancy in adolescents.

Among them is Los Angeles psychologist Dr. Nancy Irwin, who thinks that perhaps she’s been too harsh on television shows like “16 and Pregnant” and “Teen Mom," which critics have said glorifies teen pregnancy and doesn’t prevent it. That stance doesn’t hold up in light of a new study released by the CDC on Tuesday, which shows the rate of births in girls, ages 15 to 17, has declined by 63 percent since 1991.

Although the research does not address specific factors contributing to the lower levels, Irwin agrees with CDC officials that education and awareness is key — whether it’s in the form of a school program, Planned Parenthood or an MTV reality show.

“I have to eat my hat and kind of say, ‘Yeah, I’ve been proven wrong,’” Irwin told NBC News. “I think it’s fabulous. I guess when those shows started, I felt it was almost sensationalizing it and making it look like anyone could do it. And, fortunately, it looks like young girls are getting the message: ‘It’s not so easy, I’m missing a lot.’”

More: http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/new-sex-ed-how-teen-mom-helped-lower-teen-birth-n75186
Back to top Go down

The New Sex Ed? How 'Teen Mom' Helped Lower Teen Birth Rate

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: More Via AnCaps: Culture, Art & Media-