View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Russian Spy Team Left Traces That Bolstered C.I.A.’s Bounty Judgment Vide
PostSubject: Russian Spy Team Left Traces That Bolstered C.I.A.’s Bounty Judgment   Russian Spy Team Left Traces That Bolstered C.I.A.’s Bounty Judgment Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 10:14 pm

But the U.S. lacked “evidence that the Kremlin directed this operation,” newly declassified information about the Russian team showed.

Russian Spy Team Left Traces That Bolstered C.I.A.’s Bounty Judgment 04dc-bounty1-articleLarge

In early 2020, members of a Taliban-linked criminal network in Afghanistan detained in raids told interrogators that they had heard that Russians were offering money to reward killings of American and coalition troops.

The claim, that Russia was trying to pay to generate more frequent attacks on Western forces, was stunning, particularly because the United States was trying at the same time to negotiate a deal with the Taliban to end the long-running war in Afghanistan. C.I.A. analysts set out to see whether they could corroborate or debunk the detainees’ accounts.

Ultimately, newly declassified information shows, those analysts discovered a significant reason to believe the claim was accurate: Other members of the same Taliban-linked network had been working closely with operatives from a notorious unit of the G.R.U., the Russian military intelligence service, known for assassination operations.

“The involvement of this G.R.U. unit is consistent with Russia encouraging attacks against U.S. and coalition personnel in Afghanistan given its leading role in such lethal and destabilizing operations abroad,” the National Security Council said in a statement provided to The New York Times.

The statement was originally drafted and declassified to serve as talking points for officials to use in briefing reporters last month about U.S. sanctions and other punishments against Russia. The White House took diplomatic action — delivering a warning and demanding an explanation for suspicious activities — about the bounty issue, but did not base sanctions on it. The Biden administration did impose sanctions for Russia’s SolarWinds hacking and election interference.

.https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/us/politics/russian-bounties-nsc.html

warracket
Back to top Go down

Russian Spy Team Left Traces That Bolstered C.I.A.’s Bounty Judgment

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: Via AnCaps: Law & Enforced Unnatural Order-