AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

'Thank' the leftists: A Shift in American Family Values Is Fueling Estrangement

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

'Thank' the leftists: A Shift in American Family Values Is Fueling Estrangement Vide
PostSubject: 'Thank' the leftists: A Shift in American Family Values Is Fueling Estrangement   'Thank' the leftists: A Shift in American Family Values Is Fueling Estrangement Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2021 10:00 pm

Both parents and adult children often fail to recognize how profoundly the rules of family life have changed over the past half century.

'Thank' the leftists: A Shift in American Family Values Is Fueling Estrangement Original

Sometimes my work feels more like ministry than therapy. As a psychologist specializing in family estrangement, my days are spent sitting with parents who are struggling with profound feelings of grief and uncertainty. “If I get sick during the pandemic, will my son break his four years of silence and contact me? Or will I just die alone?” “How am I supposed to live with this kind of pain if I never see my daughter again?” “My grandchildren and I were so close and this estrangement has nothing to do with them. Do they think I abandoned them?”  

Since I wrote my book When Parents Hurt, my practice has filled with mothers and fathers who want help healing the distance with their adult children and learning how to cope with the pain of losing them. I also treat adult children who are estranged from their parents. Some of those adult children want no contact because their parents behaved in ways that were clearly abusive or rejecting. To make matters worse for their children and themselves, some parents are unable to repair or empathize with the damage they caused or continue to inflict. However, my recent research—and my clinical work over the past four decades—has shown me that you can be a conscientious parent and your kid may still want nothing to do with you when they’re older.

.https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2021/01/why-parents-and-kids-get-estranged/617612/

perpevil     no_commies     stardavid
Back to top Go down

'Thank' the leftists: A Shift in American Family Values Is Fueling Estrangement

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-