AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Ohio governor signs gun bill expanding 'stand your ground' rights by eliminating person's duty to retreat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Ohio governor signs gun bill expanding 'stand your ground' rights by eliminating person's duty to retreat Vide
PostSubject: Ohio governor signs gun bill expanding 'stand your ground' rights by eliminating person's duty to retreat   Ohio governor signs gun bill expanding 'stand your ground' rights by eliminating person's duty to retreat Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2021 6:53 pm

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine has signed a gun rights bill that eliminates a person’s duty to retreat before using force, despite previously voicing concerns that some lawmakers were ignoring legislation that he proposed following the 2019 mass shooting in Dayton.

The Republican governor’s most recent measure, which was signed Monday, expands the so-called "stand your ground" right from an individual’s house and car to any place, "if that person is in a place in which the person lawfully has a right to be," the legislation states.

He said he signed the bill in "the spirit of cooperation" with the General Assembly, but had hinted as recently as December that he might veto the bill.

"I have always believed that it is vital that law-abiding citizens have the right to legally protect themselves when confronted with a life-threatening situation. While campaigning for Governor, I expressed my support for removing the ambiguity in Ohio’s self-defense law … that is why I have signed this bill today," he said in a statement shared Monday on Twitter.

He added: "I am very disappointed, however, that the legislature did not include in this bill the essential provisions that I proposed to make it harder for dangerous criminals to illegally possess and use guns."

For over a year, DeWine had called for measures that would toughen background checks and boost penalties for felons committing new crimes with guns.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ohio-gun-governor-mike-dewine

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down

Ohio governor signs gun bill expanding 'stand your ground' rights by eliminating person's duty to retreat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-