View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

‘Speak of the Devil’? That’s the point of Satanic sect, Austin author says Vide
PostSubject: ‘Speak of the Devil’? That’s the point of Satanic sect, Austin author says   ‘Speak of the Devil’? That’s the point of Satanic sect, Austin author says Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2020 8:59 pm

It’s not every day you get to hear the sentence “Look, you’re not a real Satanist” in conversation.
The speaker in question, Texas State religious studies professor (and Austin native) Joseph P. Laycock, is not talking about me (though I am not a real Satanist, no), and we are discussing his new book, “Speak of the Devil: How the Satanic Temple Is Changing the Way We Talk about Religion” (Oxford University Press).
The public perception of Satanism is all over the place. Some folks think it’s a weird joke, all satin capes and silly rituals. Some folks think it’s genuinely dangerous and can inspire young people to murder or commit abuse (see also the “Satanic panic” of the 1980s). Some think it pairs automatically with heavy metal.
But Satanism comes in a variety of ideological flavors. My discussion with Laycock soon dives into the differences between:

‘Speak of the Devil’? That’s the point of Satanic sect, Austin author says AR-200219321

https://www.austin360.com/entertainmentlife/20200214/lsquospeak-of-devilrsquo-thatrsquos-point-of-satanic-sect-austin-author-says
Back to top Go down

‘Speak of the Devil’? That’s the point of Satanic sect, Austin author says

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: Inside AnCaps, Philosophy, Libertarians & Ancapdemia's Ebony Basement-