View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Brighton low-life to dismiss code violations for white supremacist flyers Vide
PostSubject: Brighton low-life to dismiss code violations for white supremacist flyers   Brighton low-life to dismiss code violations for white supremacist flyers Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 12:36 am

Code violations against a man who allegedly posted white supremacist flyers in Brighton will be dismissed in six months — as long as he doesn't break any laws before then.

Christopher Hodgman, 23, of Bethesda, Maryland, a former University of Rochester student, pleaded not guilty to the town of Brighton citations in April. On Tuesday, the town agreed on an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal — meaning the three citations will disappear from his record in six months as long as he stays out of trouble. 
Brighton Police Chief Mark Henderson first identified Hodgman in March during a press conference. He explained that Hodgman's fingerprints were recovered from the adhesive used on at least three of the fliers, which represented a now-defunct white supremacist group called Identity Evropa.
In an emailed statement, Hodgman said he's disappointed in how Brighton chose to single him out and announce the code violations publicly.
"By selectively enforcing the law, town officials violated my constitutional rights for the sake of generating publicity," Hodgman wrote. "The decision to release my name over a minor code violation, to which I plead not guilty, led to threats of violence against me and my family. I have done nothing wrong, and I expect everyone involved in this harassment campaign to reflect on their actions."
Donald Thompson, Hodgman's attorney, said that Brighton attempted to chill free speech by selectively enforcing the town code. In this particular instance, the way Brighton publicly announced the violations potentially caused damage to his client's livelihood and military career, he added.
"It was enforced here only because the town didn’t like the content of the speech," Thompson said. "I think the town appropriately recognized that there were significant issues with this prosecution — that perhaps these were charges that shouldn’t have ever been brought in the first place."

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2019/05/30/christopher-hodgman-brighton-white-supremacist-fliers-identity-evropa/1268787001/
Back to top Go down

Brighton low-life to dismiss code violations for white supremacist flyers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: Via AnCaps: Law & Enforced Unnatural Order-