View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: Abolish poLICE  Vide
PostSubject: Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: Abolish poLICE    Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: Abolish poLICE  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 7:21 pm

I was walking my sister’s dog this morning out on the icy streets, and even icier sidewalks of suburban New Jersey, while listening to NPR’s Morning Edition. David Greene was interviewing Tanya Faison, head of the Sacramento chapter of Black Lives Matter (BLM). Her group has been active over the last year leading protests over what they view as the murder of Stephon Clark by police. Stephon was black. On March 2, when the Sacramento district attorney announced the results of her investigation into the incident, she exonerated the police involved, which resulted in a resurgence of public outrage and large scale protests organized by BLM.

NPR likes to talk about “driveway moments.” This was my “icey sidewalk moment,” especially when Faison said, “Our chapter is more of an abolitionist chapter. You can’t just reform the law ... we need to rely more on each other.”

She was talking about policing, not slavery. When it comes to police and policing, she’s against them. She believes civilians will pick up the slack once the police are abolished. This remark got my attention. It made little impression on the radio host. Maybe the time allotted for the interview didn’t allow a follow-up question. I’d like to have heard more. For me this was a bombshell.

Up until today, I’d never heard anyone advocate abolishing police. The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), yes, but not all police. Once back to my tablet I could do a quick search of the internet and discover Faison’ s remarks on NPR were not an aberration or a one-off. They’re fairly mainstream in the Black Lives Matter movement. They even make an appearance in their manifesto and platform which call for a “defunding of the systems and institutions that criminalize and cage us.” Calls for the abolition of police forces, prisons and the entire structure of the justice system have shown up in numerous statements by prominent BLM activists going back to at least 2016, and probably earlier.

https://www.telluridenews.com/opinion/article_062df414-4200-11e9-bcb1-231b8088df62.html

Without Law abolishgovt
Back to top Go down

Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: Abolish poLICE

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: Via AnCaps: Law & Enforced Unnatural Order-