HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Police poopers ban Christmas fireworks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Police poopers ban Christmas fireworks Vide
PostSubject: Police poopers ban Christmas fireworks   Police poopers ban Christmas fireworks Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 4:21 pm

🐷 in Sierra Leone said Friday they were banning fireworks displays and firecrackers during celebrations for Christmas and New Year.

Assistant inspector general of police Richard Moigbeh told state radio that "any person or persons exploding crackers or engaged in fireworks displays in public places will be guilty of an offence against the public order act" which carries a six-month jail sentence.

Although Moigbeh did not state a reason for the ban, it follows frequent complaints from the public over the noise generated by the Chinese firecrackers in a country where many people were traumatised by a lengthy civil war.

"The noises emitted by these bangers and crackers bring back ugly memories of the war to most people," said Henry Massaquoi, a local doctor.

The West African country of 5.5 million people endured a decade-long civil war from 1991-2001 in which some 120,000 people were killed and thousands were mutilated.

However, a Lebanese importer of crackers, Alie Hussein said the ban would have a "colossal" impact on his business.

"I wish we had been told about this in good time so that I would not have brought in this stuff which arrived last week," he said.

"I paid over 50,000 dollars to clear them through customs in addition to some 100,000 dollars to buy and freight them all the way from Shanghai."

Children also expressed disappointment at the ban.

"They might as well take the fun out of xmas and new year," said Willie Jones, aged 10.

LNK
Back to top Go down

Police poopers ban Christmas fireworks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-