AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Ariel Brown: "I feel as though today the term 'police officer' almost has the same effect as the word 'master' did almost 200 years ago"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Ariel Brown: "I feel as though today the term 'police officer' almost has the same effect as the word 'master' did almost 200 years ago" Vide
PostSubject: Ariel Brown: "I feel as though today the term 'police officer' almost has the same effect as the word 'master' did almost 200 years ago"   Ariel Brown: "I feel as though today the term 'police officer' almost has the same effect as the word 'master' did almost 200 years ago" Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 1:06 am

Most people turn to law enforcement when they are in need of urgent help, but for some high school students in Cleveland even the word "police" causes anxiety.
"They're the ones who are supposed to be protecting you, keeping you safe. Now in our society I feel like I think of white men, you know, going after the African-American community," said Ke'sha Hines, a senior at Northeast Ohio College Preparatory School.
Fellow senior Ariel Brown said, "I feel as though today the term 'police officer' almost has the same effect as the word 'master' did almost about let's say 200 years ago."
Many of these Cleveland students have had first-hand experience engaging with police officers.
"You hear the word 'police,' you tense up, even in our generation," said Brown. "Even myself, who just walks down the street, nonchalant, minding my own business, texting my friends and I see a police car, I automatically pay all of my attention to my surroundings and wonder will today be the day I die because my skin is a little bit too tan."
Others, like Kandance Crawford, have friends who have come into contact with police.
"I had a friend who was walking when the police stopped him and made him get on the ground for no reason at all," Crawford said.
These students, all African-American, have grown up with many examples of excessive force used by police officers, experiences that shape their outlook.
At the end of 2014, the Department of Justice found that the Cleveland Division of Police "engages in a pattern or practice of the use of excessive force." In its investigation, the department said that it determined that "structural and systematic deficiencies and practices - including insufficient accountability, inadequate training, ineffective policies and inadequate engagement with the community - contribute to the use of unreasonable force."

More:  http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cleveland-activist-basheer-jones-teens-anti-police-anger/
Back to top Go down

Ariel Brown: "I feel as though today the term 'police officer' almost has the same effect as the word 'master' did almost 200 years ago"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: Via AnCaps: Law & Enforced Unnatural Order-