HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

I spent a month on a treadmill desk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

I spent a month on a treadmill desk Vide
PostSubject: I spent a month on a treadmill desk   I spent a month on a treadmill desk Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 6:44 pm

The great problem with working at a treadmill desk, as American writer Susan Orlean has observed, is "the compulsion to announce constantly that you are working at a treadmill desk". This is all too true, and so I must tell you: I am working at a treadmill desk. As we speak, I'm walking at 2.5km/h. I've been walking for 2.08 hours, and so far today I've burnt 1200 kilojoules and walked 4.56 kilometres.

I spent a month on a treadmill desk Article%20Lead%20-%20wide6147530210rwonimage.related.articleLeadwide.729x410.10lmna.png1412990338222.jpg-620x349

If you are a scholar of workstation walking, you might at this point make the justifiable assumption that I am some combination of world leader, male writer and Romantic poet. Jefferson, Bismarck, Churchill, Dickens and Hemingway all stood at their desks to work, and every person with any kind of poetic pretensions at the turn of the 19th century walked like a demon. Thomas De Quincey walked 40 miles through the night after meeting his idol Samuel Taylor Coleridge. He was high on hero-worship and, probably, opium but, nevertheless, wandering lonely as a cloud was a sine qua non of Romantic inspiration.

My own walking has been anything but lonely. Due to occupational health and safety restrictions, when my TR1200 treadmill desk arrived at the office, I was required to shut myself and the machine into a tiny glass meeting room, just in case some renegade reporter furtively got on it, cranked it up to its mighty maximum speed of 6.4km/h, flew off backwards and broke a leg. This room of my own was just as heavenly as Virginia Woolf promised, but as I paced onwards, ever onwards, my peace was frequently shattered by colleagues, gathering on the other side of the glass to express their interest through the medium of mime.

http://www.dailylife.com.au/life-and-love/real-life/i-spent-a-month-on-a-treadmill-desk-20141016-3i631.html
Back to top Go down

I spent a month on a treadmill desk

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-