View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

California woman freed after 17 years, declared innocent of murder Vide
PostSubject: California woman freed after 17 years, declared innocent of murder   California woman freed after 17 years, declared innocent of murder Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 9:11 pm

A 59-year-old California woman who spent 17 years in prison for murder was ordered freed on Friday by a judge who said she was wrongly convicted on the basis of testimony by a woman known to be a habitual liar, the Los Angeles Times reported on Friday.

The case against Susan Mellen, who was found guilty in 1998 of killing her ex-boyfriend the year before, was thrown out at the request of Los Angeles County prosecutors after an investigation by local attorney Deirdre O'Connor turned up major credibility issues with the trial's star prosecution witness.

"I believe that not only is Ms. Mellen not guilty, I believe, based on what I've read, she's innocent, and for that reason, I believe the criminal justice system has failed," Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mark Arnold said in setting aside the conviction, according to the Times.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/11/us-usa-conviction-overturned-idUSKCN0I000120141011
Back to top Go down

California woman freed after 17 years, declared innocent of murder

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: Via AnCaps: Law & Enforced Unnatural Order-