HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Virgins - they're so hot right now

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Virgins - they're so hot right now Vide
PostSubject: Virgins - they're so hot right now   Virgins - they're so hot right now Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 9:38 pm

a world gone mad with sex and ambiguity, what makes a 'virgin' really a virgin?

I ask because for some time now, I've been meaning to blog about that whole 'virginity pledge' business we hear is gaining popularity here in the ol' backyard; it's spearheaded by the American True Love Waits organisation that encourages the acceptability of pre-marital "chastity."

Good, young, chastity champions gather en masse after weeks of "pressure free" purity classes to pledge to "God, myself, my family, my future spouse and my future children to be sexually pure from this day until I enter marriage."

Lovely. All for young people making informed choices about their lives. Rock on.

Now for some stats.

The TRW website trumpets that since the inception of the first covenant in 1994, an estimated 2.5 to 3 million youth worldwide have signed the official campaign commitment cards pledging "sexual purity" until their wedding day.

But this doesn't take into account the number of promised virgins who aren't certified by the TLW program, meaning the movement may be more popular than believed.

An estimated 2 million American adolescents had taken a virginity pledge in 1995, according to the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health, a comprehensive in-home survey of more than 20,000 students in grades 7-12, that same year.

Researchers Peter Bearman, PhD, of Yale University, and Hannah Bruckner, PhD, of Columbia University followed up on nearly 75% of participants in 2001-2002, issuing STD screenings on the18-24 years subjects who had mostly all had sex and compiling an inflammatory report*.

"Contrary to expectations, we found no significant differences in STD infection rates between pledgers and nonpledgers... Amongst those who have only oral sex and/or anal sex, pledgers are overrepresented."

So... anal sex is a virginal activity? Chastity only ends with vaginal penetration? Are we still all hung up about the hymen? And what's the male equivalent?

Like a Virgin, Virgin Queen and Virgin Pop Princess... What doth a modern virgin make?

I mean to say you're a virgin means you can say what is Not virginal, riiight? So then when does sex become the sort of sex that 'pure' people abstain from?

I trawled page upon web page of TRW and affiliated campaign sites looking for an answer, a clear definition of virginal boundaries and I admit, I found nothing (please post if you have!) but a host of strongly symbolic words such as chaste, innocent, virtuous and clean...

SO! Moral judgements aside, what do you think makes a virgin a virgin?

LNK
Back to top Go down
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Virgins - they're so hot right now Vide
PostSubject: Re: Virgins - they're so hot right now   Virgins - they're so hot right now Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Quote :
"Contrary to expectations, we found no significant differences in STD infection rates between pledgers and nonpledgers... Amongst those who have only oral sex and/or anal sex, pledgers are overrepresented."

Virgins - they're so hot right now Muttley
Back to top Go down

Virgins - they're so hot right now

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-