AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Anarcho-Capitalist NEWS: Some anarcho-capitalists advocate communalism over government

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Anarcho-Capitalist NEWS: Some anarcho-capitalists advocate communalism over government Vide
PostSubject: Anarcho-Capitalist NEWS: Some anarcho-capitalists advocate communalism over government   Anarcho-Capitalist NEWS: Some anarcho-capitalists advocate communalism over government Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 2:03 am

...Are there any statistics or did you get a sense of the age profiles of libertarians?
As I saw during my four months of reporting for this story, libertarianism has many camps. Some are anarcho-capitalists who advocate communalism over government. Some are motivated by regulatory and fiscal minimalism. For others, the animating factor is government’s intrusion into our personal life, whether by N.S.A. surveillance or by marital restrictions. As the Reason Foundation pollster Emily Ekins found, over half of millennial voters aren’t wedded to either party and tend to lean to the left on social issues while slightly to the right on economic ones. Ron Paul’s 2008 and 2012 campaigns were fueled by the grassroots support of college students who had that sort of libertarian profile. But presumably many of those Paul supporters got tired of supporting someone who stood no chance of winning. We’ll see if Rand Paul — who famously visited Berkeley and received a standing ovation for his speech on privacy — makes ”libertarian Republicans” out of young voters who have been alienated by the G.O.P.’s stances on social issues.

Short of gaining a lot more votes than they ever have, the only way for libertarians to affect national politics is to pull one party, the G.O.P. being the obvious candidate, in their direction. What would they need in order to do that?

Earlier this summer I attended the Libertarian Party’s national convention in Columbus, Ohio, and sat at the dinner banquet with the New Jersey delegation. I asked my tablemates if they could find it within themselves to support Rand Paul should he become the G.O.P.’s presidential nominee. The delegates were stunned by the question: support a Republican, rather than the party’s chosen candidate? To them, Rand Paul was just another standard-issue conservative politician who would likely be beholden to the big donors who backed him. And at the libertarian outdoor festival Porcfest, I found many supporters of Ron Paul, but none for his son. For that matter, Nick Gillespie, the editor of Reason, told me that he would ”have to look at his platform” before deciding whether to support candidate Rand Paul. Meanwhile, Republican stalwarts like John McCain and Lindsey Graham have taken pot-shots at Paul, their Senate colleague, while over in the House, the libertarian movement’s current darling, Congressman Justin Amash, is viewed with unalloyed contempt by G.O.P. House leaders. All of which is to say that libertarians and Republicans generally don’t play well together. So Rand Paul has his work cut out for him.

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/11/behind-the-cover-story-robert-draper-on-the-tentative-future-of-libertarianism/
Back to top Go down

Anarcho-Capitalist NEWS: Some anarcho-capitalists advocate communalism over government

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Non-Miscellaneous :: Anarcho-Capitalist NEWS-