HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Tax Foreclosed Properties in Detroit 2003 - 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Tax Foreclosed Properties in Detroit 2003 - 2013 Vide
PostSubject: Tax Foreclosed Properties in Detroit 2003 - 2013   Tax Foreclosed Properties in Detroit 2003 - 2013 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 7:18 pm

At LOVELAND Technologies, I deal with Detroit property data everyday through our property mapping platform, Why Don’t We Own This? The data I was working with there led me to start GooBing Detroit.

Tax Foreclosed Properties in Detroit 2003 - 2013 Tumblr_inline_n6e24wCstw1qeloof

Since there’s some attention coming this way, I should probably take a moment to explain this blog — which has mostly been a context-less index of stuff found while virtually driving the streets of Detroit. I’ll start with this:

"Detroit’s getting better — sure, there are neighborhoods that have problems, but they’ve been that way for 30 or 40 years."

I’ve heard statements like this a number of times in conversation and online. The idea that problems with Detroit’s property issues are decades old. Some of the root causes are certainly buried that far back, but this idea distorts what I think is still a little understood fact: The 2008-9 financial crisis had a devastating impact on the state of property in Detroit.

One Detroit group describes the last six years of property deterioration as “A Hurricane Without Water.” I think it is an apt metaphor.

http://goobingdetroit.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Tax Foreclosed Properties in Detroit 2003 - 2013 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Tax Foreclosed Properties in Detroit 2003 - 2013   Tax Foreclosed Properties in Detroit 2003 - 2013 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 7:50 pm

Quote :
An annual auction that sees 20,000 properties go up for bid for $500 a piece, sold oftentimes to speculators who do nothing to the property. Half the properties don’t sell, and are inherited by the city, where their fate, historically, has been just as bad.
Back to top Go down

Tax Foreclosed Properties in Detroit 2003 - 2013

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps' Laissez-faire Free Trade Zone-