The good: Libertarian Nick Gillespie: Keep your government hands off my Uber

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

The good: Libertarian Nick Gillespie: Keep your government hands off my Uber Vide
PostSubject: The good: Libertarian Nick Gillespie: Keep your government hands off my Uber   The good: Libertarian Nick Gillespie: Keep your government hands off my Uber Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Libertarian Nick Gillespie took to the pages of Time last week to go to bat for the un-taxi taxi service Uber.

The good: Libertarian Nick Gillespie: Keep your government hands off my Uber 5330a819c8098.preview-300

And Airbnb, which competes for hotel business, and Tesla, which cuts out the dealership middlemen to sell its $70,000 electric cars directly to the public.

In short, Gillespie wants the government out of the business of regulating business.

"Especially in today’s sluggish economy, it’s more important than ever that market innovators win out over crony capitalists," he writes. "Letting markets work to find new ways of delivering goods and services isn’t just better for customers in the short term, it’s the only way to unleash the innovation that ultimately propels long-term economic growth."

The argument is pertinent in Madison, where Uber and its ride-share competitor Lyft are operating under the threat of fines.

"Never mind that Uber riders get to instantly rate their experience in a way no cab passenger ever does (just as amazingly, drivers get to rate passengers!)," Gillespie writes. "At the state level, California has already instituted a bevy of regulations on Uber, Lyft, and other new ride-sharing services. These range from mandatory criminal background checks for drivers, licensing via public utilities commissions, and driver training programs. Last year, Washington, D.C. officials unsuccessfully tried to squeeze out Uber with regulations on the types of cars that could carry passengers, what sorts of credit-card processing machines could be used, and how the company’s app operates."

Gillespie doesn't mention complicating factors such as Uber's denial of liability when one of its drivers was sued for killing a 6-year-old girl, or the reasonable assumption that some riders might want their drivers to undergo driver training or criminal background checks.

And cities are worried about what happens if companies like Uber drive local regulated taxi companies out of business. What would prices be like then? Would the new comapnies' "surge pricing" mean the end of affordable taxi service during high-volume times?

Seattle, it turns out, isn't waiting to find out. The City Council there just voted to restrict the number of ride-share cars that can be on the road at any given time.  

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/writers/steven_elbow/libertarian-nick-gillespie-keep-your-government-hands-off-my-uber/article_45220aeb-580f-5eca-bac6-aba353fd438e.html

Another clueless critic...  Oh man
Back to top Go down

The good: Libertarian Nick Gillespie: Keep your government hands off my Uber

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps' Laissez-faire Free Trade Zone-