View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: How a libertarian became an anarchist Vide
PostSubject: Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: How a libertarian became an anarchist   Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: How a libertarian became an anarchist Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 4:28 am

For as long as I can remember, I have considered myself a libertarian who believed in limited government as conceived by the Founding Fathers. I considered Anarchists to be just a little too far out there. After all, aren't there some things we can't accomplish for ourselves? Surely we must need some form of government in order to avoid chaos.
So why am I writing an article for this publication? Well, a funny thing happened...
I set out to write a novel that would prove the logic of my political philosophy. The setting is a suburban/rural community not too far from Phoenix, Arizona. An EMP blast wipes out the power grid - possibly world wide - leaving a diverse bunch of people cut off from the rest of the world. With no functioning government and some dire needs going unmet, how would they survive?
The idea was to have them set up a limited government. But...
I had created some very strong characters and, as any author knows, you can't ask your characters to do anything that's...well...uncharacteristic. No matter what situation I threw at them, the characters solved their problems on their own. Without forming a government!
I was surprised. I guess I shouldn't have been, because the protagonist is an anarchic-libertarian. And since the characters are a product of my own imagination, I must be one, too.
See, I always said government is only necessary to provide the things individuals or groups of individuals working together can't provide for themselves. I just underestimated how many things people can do for themselves.
They say you can learn a lot from books. It's true - even if you have to write the book yourself.
The book is called After the Blackout, and it's available in the Amazon Kindle store. I hope people who don't think of themselves as anarchists will learn something from it, too.
--Paul Anthony

http://news.infoshop.org/article.php?story=20131218170607260
Back to top Go down

Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: How a libertarian became an anarchist

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: More Via AnCaps: Culture, Art & Media-