HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

NZ: Illicit spying threatens Dotcom case

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

NZ: Illicit spying threatens Dotcom case Vide
PostSubject: NZ: Illicit spying threatens Dotcom case   NZ: Illicit spying threatens Dotcom case Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 pm

The New Zealand Prime Minister John Key says he is "very disappointed" government spies were found to have illegally bugged millionaire Kim Dotcom, but refused to comment on why they did it.

NZ: Illicit spying threatens Dotcom case Art-DC-620x349

An extradition case against Dotcom is now at risk after it was yesterday revealed that the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) unlawfully snooped on Dotcom and co-accused Bram van der Kolk.

It appears the blunder occurred because security services were unaware Dotcom, a German, and his co-accused were New Zealand residents. The GCSB is only permitted to monitor foreign intelligence.

Key said he did not sign any warrants allowing Dotcom's communications to be intercepted because the law was quite clear that was illegal where New Zealand citizens or residents were involved.
Advertisement

"What I would say is that I'm very disappointed in the agency, I've made that quite clear."

This morning on local program Firstline he refused to answer questions about why the GCSB had acted illegally.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/illicit-spying-threatens-dotcom-case-20120925-26hzr.html#ixzz27RGgHaQz
Back to top Go down

NZ: Illicit spying threatens Dotcom case

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps In Science, Technology & Environment-