HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

OZschwitz: Scrap ETS and go for a carbon tax: Lowlife statist Garnaut

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

OZschwitz: Scrap ETS and go for a carbon tax: Lowlife statist Garnaut Vide
PostSubject: OZschwitz: Scrap ETS and go for a carbon tax: Lowlife statist Garnaut   OZschwitz: Scrap ETS and go for a carbon tax: Lowlife statist Garnaut Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 1:51 am

KEVIN RUDD'S former climate change adviser, Ross Garnaut, has urged the Government to put behind it the ''fiasco'' of Copenhagen and to forge ahead with a scheme to reduce greenhouse gases, even if that means turning its emissions trading scheme into a de facto carbon tax.

In a speech yesterday, Professor Garnaut said a binding international agreement to reduce greenhouse gases would never be reached at such open forums as the United Nations conference in Copenhagen last month.

''The important decisions will need to be made wisely by a group of major countries, drawing on detailed numerical work by experts representing heads of government,'' he said.

LNK
Back to top Go down
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

OZschwitz: Scrap ETS and go for a carbon tax: Lowlife statist Garnaut Vide
PostSubject: Re: OZschwitz: Scrap ETS and go for a carbon tax: Lowlife statist Garnaut   OZschwitz: Scrap ETS and go for a carbon tax: Lowlife statist Garnaut Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 1:52 am

I'll prove Rudd's ETS is a sham: Brit scientist

A British climate sceptic says he has evidence climate change isn't a problem and the Australian government's emissions trading scheme (ETS) is unnecessary.

Lord Christopher Monckton says he has come to Australia to prove Prime Minister Kevin Rudd wrong.

The former adviser to former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher says Mr Rudd carried out "a 45-minute sustained personal attack" on him last November claiming he had no evidence on the effects of climate change.

"I'm going to say to the people of Australia, when your prime minister said I don't have any evidence, here I am, here is my evidence, here is where I got it from," Lord Monckton told reporters in Sydney today.

The climate change sceptic will carry out an extensive 13-day lecture tour of Australia at an estimated cost of $100,000.

The cost is being covered by two semi-retired Queensland engineers, John Smeed and Case Smit.

Lord Monckton claims climate change isn't a problem for the planet and carbon dioxide emissions don't contribute significantly to global warming.

He claims world temperatures will rise by just half a degree (Celsius) by the end of the decade, compared with UN scientists' prediction of a 3.5 degree rise.

He said millions of dollars were being made by "climate change profiteers".

"The ETS which I understand your government is proposing to introduce is unnecessary," he said.

"It will simply be the largest tax increase in the history of Australia.

"All that will happen is that bankers and politicians will become even richer than they are."

Lord Monckton says his evidence against climate change includes the fact tropical cyclones in Australian are at a 40-year low, Greenland's ice cover is increasing 5cm a year and polar bear numbers are on the rise.

LNK
Back to top Go down

OZschwitz: Scrap ETS and go for a carbon tax: Lowlife statist Garnaut

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps' Laissez-faire Free Trade Zone-