View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Funny: Turf War at the Hot Dog Cart Vide
PostSubject: Funny: Turf War at the Hot Dog Cart   Funny: Turf War at the Hot Dog Cart Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 7:21 pm

MONDAY was a routine day for Grant Di Mille and Samira Mahboubian, the owners of the Street Sweets food truck, a mobile trove of croissants, cupcakes and cookies that got rolling last month.

The couple loaded the truck by 6 a.m., parked in front of the Museum of Modern Art at 7, traded hostilities with other vendors from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., and were surrounded by police officers by 2.

Funny: Turf War at the Hot Dog Cart Inreuterscom

“The police told these guys that nobody owns the streets. But it sure doesn’t feel that way,” said Mr. Di Mille, who called the Midtown North precinct — not for the first time — when a jewelry vendor set up shop directly in front of his sales window.

In four weeks of business, the couple has been threatened at the depot where they park the truck; cursed by a gyro vendor who said that he would set their truck on fire; told to stay off every corner in Midtown by ice cream truck drivers; and approached by countless others with advice — both friendly and menacing — on how to get along on the streets.

“I want to be a good neighbor,” Mr. Di Mille said. “But I am nobody’s fool, and nobody’s pushover, and I should not have to carry a baseball bat on my truck in order to sell cupcakes.”

In the last two years, upscale food trucks have swarmed the streets, entrancing New Yorkers with everything from artisanal Earl Grey ice cream to vegan tacos. These highly visible trucks, their outspoken owners and their followers on Twitter, Facebook and food blogs, have broken the code of the streets that has long kept a relative peace among food vendors.

Turf wars are nothing new for carts selling kebabs and cheap coffee. But the makers of thumbprint cookies, chicken-Thai basil dumplings, and crème anglaise are not happy about the sharp elbows that are part of the city’s sidewalk economy, or the murky bureaucracy that oversees the issuing of permits. (Six people were arrested on Tuesday on fraud charges related to food vending permits.)

These new culinary entrepreneurs, most of them with English as their first language and little fear of police or immigration authorities, say that they are on a mission to bring better street food to New Yorkers, and ready to bring dark corners of the business to light.

“Right now the system actually favors the black market over people who want to do things right,” said Nathalie Jordi, an owner of People’s Pops, who makes frozen treats with ingredients like locally grown rhubarb and strawberries. “How can that be good for the city?”

Now, having been through the hassle of getting established on the street, these vendors are determined to find gold there. Like Mr. Di Mille, who has two children to support and a six-figure investment to recoup, they say they can’t afford to give in to the vendors who want them to move.

“If I only did business where these hot dog guys said I could do business,” said Lev Ekster, owner of the new CupcakeStop truck, “I would be vending in New Jersey.”

The established vendors, on the other hand, see newcomers as competitors with an unfair advantage in a desperate economy. “They think they can come in with their big fancy truck and push into a spot where I’ve been for 18 years,” said Norman Sweeney, the jewelry vendor who tried to block the Street Sweets truck Monday. He said that the strain of holding down two jobs and sleeping in his truck had caused him to “snap.” “This spot is all I have left,” he said.

Since last fall, when the city’s economy turned especially rough, the trickle of new trucks has become a flood. “We used to get two or three calls a week from people wanting to become food vendors,” said Michael Wells, a director of the Street Vendor Project, a nonprofit group that advocates for vendors. “Now we get a dozen.”

More variety and better street food for the people of New York might seem like an uncontroversial proposition. But new food trucks have encountered resistance from brick-and-mortar businesses; huge backlogs in the city’s licensing system; and harassment from established vendors, which, new vendors say, is increasing as the trucks attract more attention.

“Absolutely the situation has deteriorated since last fall,” said Kenny Lao, an owner of the Rickshaw Dumpling Truck, who says that his life was threatened by other vendors when the truck opened for business last year. “The old vendors are edgy, and they don’t bother to figure out which one of the new trucks is which,” he said.

“A new vendor used to mean someone’s cousin coming in from Egypt,” said Zach Brooks, whose blog Midtown Lunch chronicles the sidewalk-food scene. “Now it’s a major culture clash.”

The early summer has brought at least a dozen new trucks, many of them run by people with advanced degrees and white-collar backgrounds: CupcakeStop is owned by a 2009 New York University Law School graduate. Cravings, a Taiwanese food truck, is the brainchild of Thomas Yang, who developed the truck’s business model before graduating from Baruch College in 2008. The owners of Street Sweets both left six-figure jobs to build their business, and the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck is driven by Doug Quint, a doctoral candidate in bassoon performance at CUNY. “The whole Brooklyn Philharmonic season was canceled,” he said. “I have to get through the summer somehow.”

The new truckers, knowingly or innocently, often roll right over unwritten rules about which corner belongs to whom, and when. The city, other than blocking certain streets entirely and enforcing parking regulations, does not dictate locations for food carts. But spots are virtually owned by vendors who have worked them for decades; they are handed down within families and even sold on the black market.

More...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/01/dining/01truck.html?_r=1
Back to top Go down

Funny: Turf War at the Hot Dog Cart

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Non-Miscellaneous :: AnCaps & Humor-