View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

The Danger of Free Will Denial Vide
PostSubject: The Danger of Free Will Denial   The Danger of Free Will Denial Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2022 2:35 am

The Danger of Free Will Denial

The Danger of Free Will Denial Neuroscience-free-will_Page_1-300x169

Dial 9-1-1! They’re coming from every direction to steal my free will! Woe is me! But, how can I protect my libertarian freedom from divine predestination? From divine foreknowledge? From bondage to sin?  From political tyranny? From genetic determinism? And now from neuro-deterministic brain science? Free will deniers on all sides are closing in. Help!

A precise definition is the best defense. So, here is my thesis: human free will exists, and what we mean by free will is self-determination. In common parlance, we know we have libertarian free will if we could have done otherwise. If you and I are a self, then we could have decided to do otherwise. But, will our brains allow this?

To fortify free will, we must defend the centered presence of the human self. The human self exercises free will in the form of deliberation, decision, and action. Such self-determination, along with nature and nurture, make up a three-part determinism. In short, free will could be declared compatible with determinism, as long as the self is a determinant.

This thesis is important in the face of free will denial. Our ancestors in the faith had to face predestination and foreknowledge. [1] Today, we have to face those who conscript neuroscience in support of their materialistic, deterministic, and reductionistic doctrines.

.https://www.patheos.com/blogs/publictheology/2022/03/the-danger-of-free-will-denial/
Back to top Go down

The Danger of Free Will Denial

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: Inside AnCaps, Philosophy, Libertarians & Ancapdemia's Ebony Basement-