HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Demented "Baroness:" Senile 'have a duty to die'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Demented "Baroness:" Senile 'have a duty to die' Vide
PostSubject: Demented "Baroness:" Senile 'have a duty to die'   Demented "Baroness:" Senile 'have a duty to die' Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 7:34 pm

PENSIONERS with dementia should consider ending their lives to stop “wasting” NHS resources, it was suggested yesterday.

Medical ethics expert Baroness Warnock, 84, said senility sufferers were a burden to their families and doctors.

And she said there was nothing wrong with them feeling they had a “duty” to opt for euthanasia for the sake of others.

She said: “If you are demented you are wasting people’s lives, your family’s lives and you are wasting the resources of the NHS.

“I am fully in agreement with the argument that if pain is insufferable then someone should be given help to die.”

Speaking to church journal Life and Work she said she had just written an article entitled A Duty to Die?

She went on: “I feel there is a wider argument that if somebody desperately wants to die because they are a burden to their family, or the state, then I think they should.”

The Baroness, the first Government-linked expert to speak in favour of euthanasia, was accused of “barbaric” comments.

Neil Hunt, of the Alzheimer’s Society, said: “I am shocked that Lady Warnock could disregard the value of the lives of people with dementia so callously.”

Baroness Warnock has served on many Lords committees including those dealing with medical ethics and scientific procedures and has worked with the Archbishop of Canterbury.

LNK
Back to top Go down

Demented "Baroness:" Senile 'have a duty to die'

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-