HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Humiliated greaseball Berlusconi threatens media with reprisals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Humiliated greaseball Berlusconi threatens media with reprisals Vide
PostSubject: Humiliated greaseball Berlusconi threatens media with reprisals   Humiliated greaseball Berlusconi threatens media with reprisals Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 6:45 pm

THE Italian Prime Minister, Silvio Berlusconi, has made an ominous threat to his country's media of "direct and tough" reprisals after unflattering reports of a number of diplomatic gaffes he made at the round of summits in Britain, France and Germany.

Mr Berlusconi berated journalists for their coverage after he skipped an official NATO photo and kept the German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, waiting at the end of a red carpet while he finished a telephone conversation.

Humiliated greaseball Berlusconi threatens media with reprisals 420prague-420x0

Last week newspapers had a field day when the billionaire appeared to annoy the Queen by shouting out to Barack Obama during a photo call.

It is the first time Mr Berlusconi, who controls most of Italy's television networks, has made such intimidating noises about the press. The professional body representing Italian journalists said his comments were of "unprecedented gravity".

Mr Berlusconi's remarks come amid mounting concern among opposition politicians over his apparent impatience with democratic constraints.

Speaking in Prague, Mr Berlusconi said the Italian press had "no other aim than that of saying the prime minister has committed faux pas or gaffes". In fact, he said: "I am here to represent Italy precisely because there is no one else [to do so], and out of a sense of responsibility."

After accusing journalists of "defaming me and misinforming readers", he added: "I don't want to go as far as to talk about direct and tough actions in respect of certain newspapers and press personalities. But, frankly, I'm tempted."

Asked to explain what he meant, he appeared to suggest a government-inspired boycott. "If I say 'Don't watch a TV channel' or something, do you think that no one in Italy would follow me?"

There are bound to be fears that he was hinting at using his political and financial power to pressure editors.

Journalists said Mr Berlusconi left Strasbourg after Saturday's NATO summit in a foul mood brought on by controversy over his behaviour.

He was said to be furious about jibes at his behaviour with the Queen.

LNK
Back to top Go down

Humiliated greaseball Berlusconi threatens media with reprisals

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Realpolitik, Statism & Bureaucracy-