View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

UN anti-blasphemy measure threat to freedom of speech Vide
PostSubject: UN anti-blasphemy measure threat to freedom of speech   UN anti-blasphemy measure threat to freedom of speech Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 10:16 pm

It was reported last year that the UN passed a measure to make blasphemy a criminal offense. The measure, "Combating Defamation of Religions," passed with a vote of 85-50. This has been a great concern ever since.

This should concern every American, not just atheists as some might think. This threatens to undermine our rights to freedom of expression - freedom of speech. It becomes criminal to call out religious people who regularly commit atrocities in the names of their deities.

Certainly atheists are not the only people who recognize and discuss the acts that pertain to certain religious groups. Can you imagine what it would have been like to have been required by law to refrain from discussing the brutality of the religious beliefs held by those who were responsible for the 9/11 attacks, for example? Can you imagine being imprisoned for expressing your thoughts on that? Can you imagine dieing for it?

Some nations, including Canada, the US, and Israel have decided to boycott the coming UN Geneva meeting that will be held in April concerning this topic because the language of it threatens human rights. It seems more importance is placed on protecting the "rights" of an idea as opposed to the rights of humans - which, of course, is absurd.

An Associated Press (AP) report said that the US will reconsider their decision to stay away if certain parts of the document are dropped. Reportedly, "[t]he Obama administration would reconsider its position if the document improves in a number of areas including dropping references to any specific country, references to defamation of religion which the U.S. views as a free speech issue, and language on reparations for slavery."

In an interview, Lou Dobbs spoke to Christopher Hitchens on this issue. (Story continues below video.)

It was reported that Bennett Graham, international program director with the Becket Fund, said last year that this document "provides international cover for domestic anti-blasphemy laws, and there are a number of people who are in prison today because they have been accused of committing blasphemy,” Further, he said that "[t]hose arrests are made legitimate by the UN body’s (effective) stamp of approval.”

The AP report said that "French diplomat Daniel Vosgien said in December that his country was firmly opposed to the idea of banning criticism of religion."

There are several groups, like American Atheists, that are speaking out against the "new BINDING UN Resolution restricting people from ridiculing religion, specifically Islam." David Silverman, National Communications Director of American Atheists, is speaking out and is encouraging other to do so as well. He said:

The United States is a nation where freedom of religion, press, and speech are paramount. They are our First Amendment. We will not back down and bow to pressure from any governing body who seeks to take our freedoms away. We will not yield to terrorism cloaked in politics.

The American Atheists convention will be held this April in Atlanta, during which attendees will be invited to participate in a protest of this resolution. According to Silverman, "those who so choose will defy the UN's demands that we keep quiet about the absurdity of religion in the name of political correctness. We will, en-masse, recite a statement ridiculing God, Allah, Muhammed, and any other mythological being or false prophet and openly plead guilty to the victimless "crime" of blasphemy. People will be given the opportunity to speak their personal views and give their names. We will then challenge the US to arrest us for this crime, or openly rebuke the UN's resolution." (His bolding of text.)

Those who are not attending the convention are encouraged to participate in the protest as well... all people, not just atheists. Silverman said, "We all enjoy the right to openly criticize each other (as we often do), and we invite people of all religious and theological beliefs to join us in this effort by recording their own blasphe-ME event, or even a personal statement, and posting it on the Internet. Of course, those who believe in a deity are expected to blaspheme gods in which they do NOT believe, as is their right (unless/until the UN gets its way). This is one issue where every American of every religion should be on our side." (Again, his bolding of text.)

Silverman has issued his protest statement. It follows:

My name is David Silverman. I openly and freely state that religion is ridiculous, and all gods are fictional. I also state that Islam, specifically, is a barbaric religion, based on the teachings of a false prophet, that promotes ignorance, hate, and violence (including terrorism). I plead guilty to blasphemy and promise to do so in court if need be. I do this in direct violation of the UN resolution, and I personally challenge President Obama to rebuke this resolution, or order my arrest.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2044-Atheism-Examiner~y2009m3d2-UN-antiblasphemy-measure-threatens-freedom-of-speech

Amen
Back to top Go down

UN anti-blasphemy measure threat to freedom of speech

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-