View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Government departments are the worst discriminators Vide
PostSubject: Government departments are the worst discriminators   Government departments are the worst discriminators Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:54 am

It was lunchtime in Newmarket and Johnny Zhang - who came to New Zealand from China five years ago - was getting groceries.

Just hours before heading to the markets he was abused for no reason as he waited at traffic lights.

“I didn't even see who they were. Just suddenly they shouted at me and I even didn't hear what they say, but it was quite loud and then they drove away,” explains Mr Zhang. “I just don't get it.”

Phil Pam has also experienced discrimination. In his case, rubbish was thrown at him as he walked down the street.

“When you have those bad experiences, with bad people, you absolutely feel sad,” says fellow Chinese immigrant Mr Pam.

The latest race relations research confirms it is a sad trend according to 74 percent of respondents in a survey.

Asians were discriminated against. Sixty-eight percent said overweight people suffered discrimination while Pacific peoples and gays and lesbians were not far behind.

“What are the reasons? It's difficult to say I think it's a mixture of newness, ignorance and there is prejudice - there's no doubt about that,” says Race Relations Commissioner Joris De Bres.

There is a surprise where people believe they encounter most discrimination: government departments top the list - ahead of public places, shops and employers.

“I think there is an important need for government departments to take a good look at themselves,” says Victoria University Associate Professor James Liu. “And I strongly suspect this is to do with use of language rather than a blanket form of racism.”

The report also listed a series of examples of race-related harassment and crime in the past year.

By far the worst was the case of Korean backpacker Jae Kim who was decapitated with a spade south of Westport in 2003. Three men with skinhead affiliations were charged.

Hate crimes now look set to become a specific offence.

“We are looking at legislation and to have a specific coding to that offence type whether it is race hate or acts of violence towards those persons,” explains Ethnic Services Senior Manager Wallace Haumaha.

Police say they are also keen to examine the possibility of harsher penalties if the crime is motivated by hatred of a persons ethnicity.

The biggest benefit though, they say, would be identifying problem areas earlier and working alongside community leaders to reduce it.

http://www.3news.co.nz/News/NationalNews/Discrimination-against-Asians-in-New-Zealand-grows/tabid/423/articleID/92200/cat/65/Default.aspx
Back to top Go down
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Government departments are the worst discriminators Vide
PostSubject: Re: Government departments are the worst discriminators   Government departments are the worst discriminators Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 1:10 am

State repression
Back to top Go down

Government departments are the worst discriminators

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Realpolitik, Statism & Bureaucracy-