View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Boxing world rocked by tragic death of legendary fighter, age 55 Vide
PostSubject: Boxing world rocked by tragic death of legendary fighter, age 55   Boxing world rocked by tragic death of legendary fighter, age 55 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 1:50 am

Pernell Whitaker, who forged a reputation as arguably the greatest defensive boxer who ever lived, died late Sunday in Virginia Beach, Virginia, when he was struck by a car while crossing a bridge. He was pronounced dead on the scene.
He was 55.
A gold-medal winner on the legendary 1984 U.S. Olympic team, Whitaker was elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2006, his first year of eligibility.
He won world championships at lightweight, super lightweight, welterweight and super welterweight. He was the lineal champion at lightweight and welterweight.
At his peak, he was almost impossible to hit, fighting out of a crouch and swiveling like a corkscrew out of the way of punches.
“He was an original and will be remembered as one of the most talented boxers of all-time,” his promoter, Kathy Duva, said. “ … While he was far from a perfect human being, he was pretty close to a perfect fighter. In the ring was where he was most happy and in control. I will choose to remember him in the pocket, making his opponent miss and letting the world know that nobody could touch him.
“I love him very much, in spite of and because of his flaws. I’m going to miss him very much.”
Some of the biggest names in world boxing paid emotional tributes to the legendary fighter on social media.

Quote :
I’m truly lost for words to hear Pernell “Sweet Pea” Whitaker is no longer with us. He was a flawless fighter. Condolences to his family. pic.twitter.com/pZZEceN7h2
— Mike Tyson (@MikeTyson) July 15, 2019
Quote :
I'm deeply saddened by the loss of this great champion, who gave a tremendous amount of joy to those who watched him. #PernellWhitaker pic.twitter.com/IZv3IQOo2f
— Oscar De La Hoya (@OscarDeLaHoya) July 15, 2019
Quote :
I am saddened to learn of my good friend and Olympic teammate Pernell Whitaker's untimely passing last night.
We share so many great memories. He was small in statue but yet so big in heart and skills inside the ring, there will never be another like him, he will truly be missed pic.twitter.com/IqmXkqpqkG
— Evander Holyfield (@holyfield) July 15, 2019
Quote :
God bless Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker and his family. Pernell showed us that boxing could be an art as well as a sweet science.
— Manny Pacquiao (@MannyPacquiao) July 15, 2019
Quote :
Wow I can’t believe this!!! Somebody that I’ve always loved to watch and wanted to meet so bad and now it will never happen. SMH RIP SWEET PEA you will for ever be one of the greatest to ever lace em up.
— Terence Crawford (@terencecrawford) July 15, 2019

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/pernell-whitaker-death-boxing-world-pays-tribute-to-legendary-fighter-224439313.html
Back to top Go down

Boxing world rocked by tragic death of legendary fighter, age 55

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Non-Miscellaneous :: AnCaps With FreeStyle Miscellaneous-