HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

OZschwitz: I got a 99 ATAR but I had a lousy education

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

OZschwitz: I got a 99 ATAR but I had a lousy education Vide
PostSubject: OZschwitz: I got a 99 ATAR but I had a lousy education   OZschwitz: I got a 99 ATAR but I had a lousy education Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2018 6:03 pm

People think my 99-plus ATAR qualifies me to be a bona fide genius, but I assure them that the longer they get to know me, the more they’ll realise this: in the HSC, I just played the system. I don’t think I’m necessarily any smarter than anyone else; I just did exactly what the markers wanted. This approach works for me at university, too. I’m about to graduate with a science degree that I don’t feel I deserve, because I can recall barely any of the content I’ve studied in the past four years.

OZschwitz: I got a 99 ATAR but I had a lousy education 78a7a5b4bf59c964ec4e9475c2c3f4474c02f797

As students at high school, we were taught to the exam; as students at university, we carry that habit over, so that even if we are interested in the subjects (and for the most part, I was), in the back of our minds we are always thinking, "Will this be in the final exam?" Unsurprisingly, I fare much worse in practical assessments at university than my grade point average would suggest. During the two internships I have undertaken, I have struggled to retain and apply new skills, as well as accept critical feedback. I’m an employer’s second choice: good on paper but doesn’t deliver.

It shouldn’t come as a complete surprise that young Australians aren’t happy with their high school education. Who could be content with a system that hallows perfectionism, trains students to memorise and regurgitate content in rigid exam formats, and allows such little room for creativity? The more the years pass since I graduated from high school, the more I have come to see the flaws in the system I once revered.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/i-got-a-99-atar-but-i-had-a-lousy-education-20181123-p50hwo.html
Back to top Go down

OZschwitz: I got a 99 ATAR but I had a lousy education

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps & Psychology, Edumbcation, Even IndoctriNation-