View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Just listen to this psycho: Why bigotry is a public health problem Vide
PostSubject: Just listen to this psycho: Why bigotry is a public health problem   Just listen to this psycho: Why bigotry is a public health problem Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2018 1:31 am

Over a decade ago, I wrote a piece for a psychiatric journal entitled “Is Bigotry a Mental Illness?” At the time, some psychiatrists were advocating making “pathological bigotry” or pathological bias – essentially, bias so extreme it interferes with daily function and reaches near-delusional proportions – an official psychiatric diagnosis. For a variety of medical and scientific reasons, I wound up opposing that position.
In brief, my reasoning was this: Some bigots suffer from mental illness, and some persons with mental illness exhibit bigotry – but that doesn’t mean that bigotry per se is an illness.
Yet in the past few weeks, in light of the hatred and bigotry the nation has witnessed, I have been reconsidering the matter. I’m still not convinced that bigotry is a discrete illness or disease, at least in the medical sense. But I do think there are good reasons to treat bigotry as a public health problem. This means that some of the approaches we take toward controlling the spread of disease may be applicable to pathological bigotry: for example, by promoting self-awareness of bigotry and its adverse health consequences.

Just listen to this psycho: Why bigotry is a public health problem File-20181119-119943-13vjbsk.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1

http://theconversation.com/why-bigotry-is-a-public-health-problem-107187

Thumbs down 

Read instead:

Psychiatry: The Science of Lies

Just listen to this psycho: Why bigotry is a public health problem 51sexo-bfJL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_

https://www.amazon.com/Psychiatry-Science-Lies-Thomas-Szasz/dp/0815609108
Back to top Go down

Just listen to this psycho: Why bigotry is a public health problem

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps & Psychology, Edumbcation, Even IndoctriNation-