AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

This unhinged psychiatrist thinks we should treat alt-right 'bigotry' like a disease

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

This unhinged psychiatrist thinks we should treat alt-right 'bigotry' like a disease Vide
PostSubject: This unhinged psychiatrist thinks we should treat alt-right 'bigotry' like a disease   This unhinged psychiatrist thinks we should treat alt-right 'bigotry' like a disease Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2018 9:18 pm

Over a decade ago, I wrote a piece for a psychiatric journal entitled “Is Bigotry a Mental Illness?” At the time, some psychiatrists were advocating making “pathological bigotry” or pathological bias – essentially, bias so extreme it interferes with daily function and reaches near-delusional proportions – an official psychiatric diagnosis. For a variety of medical and scientific reasons, I wound up opposing that position.

This unhinged psychiatrist thinks we should treat alt-right 'bigotry' like a disease Donald_trump_alt-right_supporter_32452974604_1

In brief, my reasoning was this: Some bigots suffer from mental illness, and some persons with mental illness exhibit bigotry – but that doesn’t mean that bigotry per se is an illness.
Yet in the past few weeks, in light of the hatred and bigotry the nation has witnessed, I have been reconsidering the matter. I’m still not convinced that bigotry is a discrete illness or disease, at least in the medical sense. But I do think there are good reasons to treat bigotry as a public health problem. This means that some of the approaches we take toward controlling the spread of disease may be applicable to pathological bigotry: for example, by promoting self-awareness of bigotry and its adverse health consequences.

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/psychiatrist-thinks-we-should-treat-alt-right-bigotry-disease

Dummy
Back to top Go down

This unhinged psychiatrist thinks we should treat alt-right 'bigotry' like a disease

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps & Psychology, Edumbcation, Even IndoctriNation-