HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Cheer squad for sharks leaves me gobsmacked

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Cheer squad for sharks leaves me gobsmacked Vide
PostSubject: Cheer squad for sharks leaves me gobsmacked   Cheer squad for sharks leaves me gobsmacked Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 10:30 pm

Great white sharks are difficult creatures to study and our knowledge of their life cycle and behaviour is imperfect.

The more we understand, the more we find our conventional wisdom challenged. For instance, white sharks are not more likely to attack in the early morning or late afternoon or on cloudy days or during whale migration.

When white sharks were protected in 1997 it was thought there was one white shark population, now there is strong evidence for two; one on the west coast and another on the east.

Since 2000, there have been 14 fatal white shark attacks in WA. In the previous 90 years, there were just two. Some argue, quite reasonably, that the increase in attacks is the result of an increase in white shark numbers.

Today I will be releasing a Department of Fisheries report on the white shark population in WA that attempts to address this issue. This important report, while adding to our understanding of white sharks, also demonstrates our limited knowledge.

To put it bluntly, we do not have a definitive answer on the number of white sharks off WA.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/32634296/cheer-squad-for-sharks-leaves-me-gobsmacked/#page1
Back to top Go down

Cheer squad for sharks leaves me gobsmacked

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps In Science, Technology & Environment-