HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

How to cope with gut-wrenching loss

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

How to cope with gut-wrenching loss Vide
PostSubject: How to cope with gut-wrenching loss   How to cope with gut-wrenching loss Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 5:37 am

Grief will inevitably pop up somewhere in life, prompted by an awful event - the death of a relative, friend or even a pet. We all feel that gut-wrenching loss at some point and it's ghastly.

How to cope with gut-wrenching loss 1466493952944

But grief doesn't confine itself to death alone. There are other losses in life that can slam us, unexpectedly. And they warrant our attention because the pain of grief is taxing and can stem from any number of life events, including loss of independence, relationship breakdowns, illness, financial insecurity, retirement, homelessness and social isolation.

When I recently endured a messy mire of sorrow, I was stumped as to what was going on until I realised I was experiencing grief - even though no one had died.

The late Swiss-American psychiatrist Elisabeth Kübler-Ross pioneered the view, in the 1960s, that we can roll in and out of five stages of grief - denial, anger, bargaining, depression (or sadness) and acceptance - not always experienced in that order. While her understanding of the experience focused on death and dying, it's applicable to grief arising from any kind of loss.

http://www.dailylife.com.au/life-and-love/how-to-cope-with-gutwrenching-loss-20160615-gpj9cr.html
Back to top Go down

How to cope with gut-wrenching loss

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps & Psychology, Edumbcation, Even IndoctriNation-