HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

How much should be done to save a life?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

How much should be done to save a life? Vide
PostSubject: How much should be done to save a life?   How much should be done to save a life? Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 3:15 am

These would be my patient's only words – an economy of phrasing made necessary by an all-consuming air hunger. She had just arrived in the emergency room, Code 3 critical, after a lights-and-sirens ambulance transport from her nursing home. Awake, alert and intensely focused, every effort of her frail, 90-year-old body was concentrated on the simple act of breathing. Her weak heart and failed kidneys had caused her lungs to fill with fluid, every breath becoming a mixture of water and air. The analogy to drowning is inevitable. As her doctor, I was going to have to make some big decisions quickly, including this one: How much should I do to save her life?

How much should be done to save a life? 1464171293396

Typically, when patients gasping for air and with very low oxygen levels show up in my emergency room, it's obvious what to do first: You intubate them. You put a tube in their mouth down into their lungs and connect them to a respirator. It's an aggressive treatment and anyone awake for it will tell you it's unpleasant. But without enough oxygen in the bloodstream, bad, often irreversible things happen to the body quickly.

But this patient wasn't typical. She was old, she had no next of kin and it was clear that a series of recent medical interventions had failed to stabilise her. She'd been in our intensive care unit three times for more than a week in the last four months alone. Her most recent stay had involved a seven-day stint on a respirator. Her eventual discharge to the nursing home was a medical high-wire act; an all-too-familiar pattern of readmission to discharge to readmission was playing out.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/how-much-should-be-done-to-save-a-life-20160524-gp347k.html
Back to top Go down

How much should be done to save a life?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Non-Miscellaneous :: AnCaps With FreeStyle Miscellaneous-