AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

'Parents have lost the plot': Controversial author updates book for new generation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

'Parents have lost the plot': Controversial author updates book for new generation Vide
PostSubject: 'Parents have lost the plot': Controversial author updates book for new generation   'Parents have lost the plot': Controversial author updates book for new generation Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 11:37 pm

For the past 40 years, maternity nurse Rachel Waddilove has been guiding women through the dense fog of new motherhood. Her methods, spelt out in her parenting manual The Baby Book, first published a decade ago, are controversially traditional - she advocates swaddling, controlled crying and formula - yet her client list includes Hollywood A-listers such as Minnie Driver and Gwyneth Paltrow.

'Parents have lost the plot': Controversial author updates book for new generation 1461978047345

Now Rachel, 68 and a grandmother of six, has decided to bring The Baby Book to a new generation. She has spent the past year compiling a new edition of the book, out this week, and which takes into account mothers' evolving lifestyles.

"It's not me who has changed," she says, "it's modern mothers. You're all so busy, you travel so much and you scare yourselves by reading nonsense on the internet. I want to make my message even clearer."

As a first-time mother three years ago, I was one of Rachel's "girls". She showed me how to swaddle Hector, my firstborn, and leave him to settle in his cot. The results were instantaneous: my husband and I began to get a lot more sleep.

Two babies later, however, and I've gone soft. My latest addition, Horatio, 12 weeks, is exclusively breastfed, he spends his days attached to me in a sling and has a special cot connected to our bed, which he usually shuns in favour of sleeping next to me.

As I tell Rachel this, she sighs. "Modern parenting is all about the child, and that's what I don't like about it," she says. "I'm not belittling the fact that children are precious - they're a gift - but we're building a generation of little tin gods and it's not creating a very nice society. We've lost the plot."

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/baby/life-with-a-baby/parents-have-lost-the-plot-controversial-author-updates-book-for-new-generation-20160430-goiteh
Back to top Go down

'Parents have lost the plot': Controversial author updates book for new generation

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-