Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Price Theory project

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rpmcruz

rpmcruz

Price Theory project Vide
PostSubject: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi guys,

I am from Portugal. I have been flirting with anarcho-capitalism since I first started my autodidact studying of economics, around 10 years ago.

My first textbook was Price Theory by David D. Friedman. I found this forum while searching for people that may be interested in cooperating to revamp the games shipped with this textbook.

I just created this github project. I do not particularly need help in the programming part (though that would be great too), but it would be really helpful to have people commenting on the design.

github.com/rpmcruz/price-theory

Best wishes,
Ricardo
Back to top Go down
http://tinyurl.com/ogzkd6x
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

PostSubject: Re: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Welcome 1

Great to have you here rpmcruz!

I visited your site. The first improvement I suggest is that "Hansa" is too obscure a word. (I had to look it up.) Maybe substitute "cartel?"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hansa
Back to top Go down
rpmcruz

rpmcruz

PostSubject: Re: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 4:08 am

Hi Nemo, thanks.

Just to be clear, the idea would be reproduce the little games written by David D. Friedman's in 1986, and to revamp his online textbook.

Hansa comes from Hanseatic league and was one of the more elaborate games developed by David Friedman. Possibly, we could improve on them, but just to make it clear that the game concepts are not my own.

Now: one problem I have is that I don't exactly know how those games worked. They don't run in any modern computer. I do have the source code that Friedman provided and some documentation that contains a couple of screenshots. I would love if someone could be my beta tester and help design them based on his documentation. Dr Friedman says he does not have the time to follow the development at this point.

If someone wants to consider new game concepts, I would be happy to indulge and code them (though I can only dedicate a few hours every week to the project). But I think the priority should be to bring his excellent textbook to the 21th century so that it can reach new people.

Again, if someone wants to be a beta tester and designer, please subscribe to the mailing list in the github page.

(Meanwhile, I am glad I found this forum. I used to be a "customer" of the mises forum as of a few years ago, but I see that it has closed. This is how I found this forum.)
Back to top Go down
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

PostSubject: Re: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 4:29 am

Yo rpmcruz!

Glad you dropped in... ;)

Frankly, I don't think anyone here will be of much help to you re your project, sorry.
There's no 'coders' here that I know of...
Still, there are other places on the net that might provide more fertile grounds for your project...

And lol, I had no idea that the Mises' Forum is gone! WOW! Wonder what happened?

In any case, you're welcome to participate here, despite the above... :D

Back to top Go down
rpmcruz

rpmcruz

PostSubject: Re: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 4:43 am

Thank you. But I would be happy to have some people over my mailing list for guidance. I don't mind putting a few coding hours per week. My day job is as a statistician (machine learning, actually), so all I know of economics is reading that I have done on my own when I was younger (such as Friedman's superb micro textbook), and afterwards having taken two courses in the economics department (one in micro and another in macro, but at the undergrad level).
Back to top Go down
CovOps

CovOps

PostSubject: Re: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 4:57 am

OMG, lol, you and Nemo seem to have a lot in common: Stats, econ, yadda, lol.
He's my go-to-math-guy, lol. Always drowning me in stats... so he may be of some assistance to you after all... though unfortunately, he won't be here until tonight, as per your time zone...
Back to top Go down
rpmcruz

rpmcruz

PostSubject: Re: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 4:28 pm

Hehe :)

By the way, I have added a wiki: github.com/rpmcruz/price-theory/wiki. The idea would be to discuss things over the mailing list and the wiki summarizes whatever has been done and we intend to do.

Again, no need for someone to put down the time hacking... I would appreciate to have someone for the occasional discussion. Or if you guys could recommend me another forum where I might find people excited about David Friedman's ideas that would be cool to. If this works out, maybe next year we could improve the look of some of his other great material like his stuff on Law -- though that would be comparably easy, since it only involves some CSS.
Back to top Go down
CovOps

CovOps

PostSubject: Re: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Quote :
The games are not meant to be playable for long, but to be a complement and to motivate the textbook. Ultimately, the idea would be revamp the textbook, which is available online but presently featuring lacklustering and non-interactive graphics.

Change to:

The games are not meant to be played for long, but to be complimentary and to motivate textbook use. Ultimately, the idea would be to revamp the textbook, which is available online but presently features lackluster, non-interactive graphics.
Back to top Go down
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

PostSubject: Re: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi again. Though as CovOps said I have some math and econ, I'm not much into coding.

I do have a AnCap facebook friend who is a professional coder, so if you'd like to contact him, let me know.
Back to top Go down
rpmcruz

rpmcruz

PostSubject: Re: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 4:48 pm

CovOps, thanks, i edited it!

Nemo, it would be cool to have you over the mailing list to hear from you if you want to comment on design discussions... but yes, if you know someone on facebook that might be interested, tell him about the github page! (or my facebook if you prefer: facebook.com/rpmcruz)
Back to top Go down
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

PostSubject: Re: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 5:16 pm

I'll let him know of your project and keep you posted as to his response.
Back to top Go down
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

PostSubject: Re: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 5:44 pm

rpmcruz, he replied: "I can't take on any projects now."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Price Theory project   Price Theory project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Price Theory project

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Welcome & Inductions :: Induct Yourself Into AnCaps Here-