AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Murdering doctor: I love providing abortion care to women and I am proud to do so

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Murdering doctor: I love providing abortion care to women and I am proud to do so Vide
PostSubject: Murdering doctor: I love providing abortion care to women and I am proud to do so   Murdering doctor: I love providing abortion care to women and I am proud to do so Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 9:05 pm

As an ObGyn resident who chose this specialty specifically to provide safe abortion services, I was excited to read July’s publication, “Four Residents’ Narratives on Abortion Training,” in the esteemed journal Obstetrics & Gynecology. Indeed abortion is a topic in our specialty, and in our society, that generates nuanced discussion, thought, and debate. Understanding the feelings and motivations of those receiving (or not receiving) abortion training is critical to assuring the ObGyn workforce is adequately prepared to meet the reproductive needs of our patients.

Murdering doctor: I love providing abortion care to women and I am proud to do so AAEAAQAAAAAAAAObAAAAJGUxNjA0NjExLWVkZTAtNDgyOC1hNDM2LWI0MTgwNDlmNzM1Yw

In reading this commentary, I appreciated the desire to illuminate the range of emotions ObGyn residents experience throughout their abortion training. However, the authors failed to include what I would consider to be the important resident voices on this topic: those who were called into this profession to provide abortions, and are not afraid, embarrassed, or ashamed to say so.

While my narrative is not representative of all of my colleagues who share my strong and steadfast views on abortion (training), it is not a narrative that lives in isolation among the ObGyn resident community either. In an effort to strengthen the validity of “Four Residents’” commentary, and contribute to a truly nuanced and diverse body of resident narratives on abortion training, I offer a fifth narrative. I share this perspective with a similar pursuit as the original authors: to provide women (pregnant or not) with the best healthcare (and opportunities) possible.

I love providing abortion care to women, and I am proud to do so. I am also far from alone. Upon publication of “Four Residents’ Narratives on Abortion Training,” a professional listserv I belong to blew up with passionate reactions. Residents from across the country were surprised and confused by the omission of any resident perspective that voiced confidence and pride in their decision to provide abortion services. To us, abortion training was something we advocated for in medical school, and actively sought out in our residency training programs. To us, abortion training was exciting, because it meant we were developing the skills necessary to provide women with safe reproductive healthcare. To many of us, the decision to receive training in abortion wasn’t “agonizing” at all as a recent corresponding piece in Yahoo! Health described. Rather, providing our first MVA was a “feel good procedure,” because we had successfully performed an intervention that changed a woman’s life for the better!

I provide abortions, and actively take every opportunity to advance my abortion skills, because without abortion and family planning, women will never live in an equal world, let alone rule the world.

http://www.xojane.com/issues/obgyn-resident-safe-abortion-services?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_content=content-october15&utm_campaign=healthfb
Back to top Go down

Murdering doctor: I love providing abortion care to women and I am proud to do so

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-