HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Researcher discovers promising treatment for depression

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Researcher discovers promising treatment for depression Vide
PostSubject: Researcher discovers promising treatment for depression   Researcher discovers promising treatment for depression Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 5:43 pm

David* has lived with depression on and off since he was 19. At times over the past 15 years it has arrived without warning, whereas other episodes have been triggered by a stressful event.

Researcher discovers promising treatment for depression 1421986605546

Having tried various treatments, including counselling and medication, all with some degree of success, he enrolled in the trial of a promising new therapy that combines gentle brain stimulation using weak electric current and thinking exercises.

During his 15 sessions over three weeks last year David found his mood unchanged, but about a month later noticed he was feeling good.

"Then in June and July I had quite a few stressful situations and in the past I probably would've fallen into a heap. However, I found I had this new resilience to get through them, which was really surprising," he says.

David wasn't the only one who was surprised. Dr Rebecca Segrave, the neuropsycologist and researcher who came up with the idea to combine gentle brain stimulation with brain training, was so shocked by the trial's results she re-checked her figures several times.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/australian-researcher-discovers-promising-treatment-for-depression-20150124-12us2l.html
Back to top Go down

Researcher discovers promising treatment for depression

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps & Psychology, Edumbcation, Even IndoctriNation-