AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Mises, Rothbard, and Hoppe on the “Original Sin” in the Distribution of Property Rights

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Mises, Rothbard, and Hoppe on the “Original Sin” in the Distribution of Property Rights Vide
PostSubject: Mises, Rothbard, and Hoppe on the “Original Sin” in the Distribution of Property Rights   Mises, Rothbard, and Hoppe on the “Original Sin” in the Distribution of Property Rights Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Modern libertarianism began in the 1960s, about 50 years ago, with the writing of Ayn Rand and Murray Rothbard, primarily, and others like Leonard Read, Milton Friedman, Hayek, Mises, etc. Over the years, certain canards or confusions keep appearing, some from insiders, some from our statist critics. There’s a continual need to debunk and counter some of these. As the theory of liberty continues to mature and advance, the mistakes that need to be addressed become more obvious, at the same time that we are more able to address them.

I’d like to discuss here a couple of paired confusions relating to property rights. One relates to the “Lockean” argument for homesteading, or original appropriation of property; the other concerns rectification for past injustices. Both are interrelated. You’ve probably heard both of these in various forms. For example, the opponent of libertarianism just assumes that our theory is based on the Lockean idea of original appropriation—then makes the “original sin” argument that all property rights are tainted by various acts of theft or statism, and therefore, since you can never trace your property title back to the original pristine owner, no current property title is really valid.

My instant reaction to such comments is always: they are (if they are statists) trying to justify taking my property. If they are libertarians, they are trying to justify not being anarchist. Basically, when I hear people talk like this, I brace myself for the inevitable theft that they are about to endorse or condone or advocate. Two favorite quotes of mine come to mind here:

http://www.stephankinsella.com/2014/10/mises-rothbard-and-hoppe-on-the-original-sin-in-the-distribution-of-property-rights/
Back to top Go down
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Mises, Rothbard, and Hoppe on the “Original Sin” in the Distribution of Property Rights Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mises, Rothbard, and Hoppe on the “Original Sin” in the Distribution of Property Rights   Mises, Rothbard, and Hoppe on the “Original Sin” in the Distribution of Property Rights Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 11:30 pm

As Hans-Hermann Hoppe argues in A Realistic Libertarianism and many other pieces, property rights arise only because of the fundamental fact of scarcity

Thumbs down
Back to top Go down
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

PostSubject: Re: Mises, Rothbard, and Hoppe on the “Original Sin” in the Distribution of Property Rights   Mises, Rothbard, and Hoppe on the “Original Sin” in the Distribution of Property Rights Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 11:45 pm

LOL!

Well Done
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mises, Rothbard, and Hoppe on the “Original Sin” in the Distribution of Property Rights   Mises, Rothbard, and Hoppe on the “Original Sin” in the Distribution of Property Rights Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mises, Rothbard, and Hoppe on the “Original Sin” in the Distribution of Property Rights

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: Inside AnCaps, Philosophy, Libertarians & Ancapdemia's Ebony Basement-