HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Do high distinctions matter?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Do high distinctions matter? Vide
PostSubject: Do high distinctions matter?   Do high distinctions matter? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 12:59 am

Are university grades still as relevant for employers when hiring people? Does the university and course reputation count for as much? And will employers place even greater emphasis on skills beyond academic achievement in coming years?

Do high distinctions matter? Uni-article-620x349

These are critical questions as Australia hurtles towards university-fee deregulation, and the prospect of sharply higher fees in some courses, pending Senate negotiations. I doubt business has given anywhere near enough thought to the ramifications of the proposed changes.

Google said last year that high grade point averages, on their own, were a poor predicator of career success.

Take academic achievement as an example. Google said last year that high grade point averages, on their own, were a poor predicator of career success. Good marks still matter. But more important is learning agility and other emotional-intelligence traits. Brand-name colleges matter less because Google knows the best talent often comes from unusual sources.

I couldn’t agree more. Some of the most creative and innovative students I have taught over the years scraped into university, struggled with academic learning and grades, yet excelled in entrepreneurship courses. Companies that focus mostly on grades when recruiting would never have hired them.

http://www.smh.com.au/small-business/managing/blogs/the-venture/do-high-distinctions-matter-20140813-3dlfd.html
Back to top Go down

Do high distinctions matter?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps & Psychology, Edumbcation, Even IndoctriNation-