View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures  Vide
PostSubject: To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures    To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 9:54 pm

When learning a foreign language, tie new words to bold images and old memories.

When trying to learn a foreign language, we struggle because we have too much to remember: too much grammar, too many arbitrary rules and far too much vocabulary. Forgetting what we learn is our greatest foe, and we need a plan to defeat it.

To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures  RV-AO049_FLUENC_DV_20140801193243

In 2010, I realized that I had no such plan. I was studying at the time to become an opera singer, and I needed to be fluent in French, German, Italian and Russian to make my singing more expressive and to become truly competitive in opera's difficult job market. As a student, I couldn't afford language programs like Rosetta Stone or Pimsleur. So I started researching how to learn on my own—and developed a method that brought me to fluency in French in five months and Russian in 10. I now speak fluent French, German, Italian, Russian and—just for fun—Hungarian. I'm going to start on Japanese this fall.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/to-get-fluent-in-a-new-language-think-in-pictures-1406938139?google_editors_picks=true
Back to top Go down
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

PostSubject: Re: To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures    To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 10:01 pm

That might work for "cat" but what about for concepts such as "yesterday?"
Back to top Go down
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

PostSubject: Re: To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures    To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Well...

'All my (language) troubles seem so far away...'

Music notes  Music notes  Music notes  Music notes

Last edited by CovOps on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

PostSubject: Re: To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures    To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 10:51 pm

Just laugh 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures    To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To Get Fluent in a New Language, Think in Pictures

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps & Psychology, Edumbcation, Even IndoctriNation-