HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Thomas the Tank Engine had to shut the hell up to save children everywhere

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Thomas the Tank Engine had to shut the hell up to save children everywhere Vide
PostSubject: Thomas the Tank Engine had to shut the hell up to save children everywhere   Thomas the Tank Engine had to shut the hell up to save children everywhere Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 pm

There are many terrible children's programs through which parents must suffer during their child's young life. For every Sesame Street, there is an annoying Caillou or an acid-trippy Yo Gabba Gabba. But Thomas and Friends is – or was – the one show with enough subversive messages to make me turn it off for good.

Thomas the Tank Engine had to shut the hell up to save children everywhere A9330e6a-a5e3-4c2a-a7a7-36324e5cfc4d-460x276

My son, now three-and-a-half years old, thankfully never never went through a manic train fascination like so many other children. But once in a while, he'd get a bug in his brain to watch Thomas, and every time I sat and watched with him, I winced and groaned almost as much as Percy.

When I heard the news this week, that the voice actor behind Thomas's incessant whinging quit the series because he was underpaid, I remembered all of the reasons that I cut my kid off from the show in the first place.

Thomas and those friends are trains that toil away endlessly on the Isle of Sodor – which seems to be forever caught in British colonial times – and, on its surface, the show seems to impart good moral lessons about hard work and friendship. But if you look through the steam rising up from the coal-powered train stacks, you realize that the pretty puffs of smoke are concealing some pretty twisted, anachronistic messages.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/thomas-the-tank-engine-children-parents
Back to top Go down

Thomas the Tank Engine had to shut the hell up to save children everywhere

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps & Psychology, Edumbcation, Even IndoctriNation-