AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Hey, one percenters, are you afraid of being happy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Hey, one percenters, are you afraid of being happy? Vide
PostSubject: Hey, one percenters, are you afraid of being happy?   Hey, one percenters, are you afraid of being happy? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 11:03 pm

“I try not to feel too happy when I'm travelling on a plane - it seems to be 'tempting fate,'” says 37-year-old Lucy Roy*, who believes that being happy will bring “bad things” her way.

Hey, one percenters, are you afraid of being happy? Art-165527424-620x349

“I've felt this way as long as I can remember,” she says, “I thought everyone else did, too.”

Although she knows that her mistrust of happiness is irrational, especially since she says she has been very “blessed”, Roy tries to avoid “happy situations”.

“Worrying helps me avoid 'bad things' happening and prepares me for the worst – I'm very much a worst-case scenario person when it comes to my health/safety and that of other's around me – and that stopping worrying will invite disaster,” Roy says.

The "fear of happiness" that Roy describes recently became the subject of discussion in a paper in the Journal of Happiness Studies, by Mohsen Joshanloo and Dan Weijers, from New Zealand's Victoria University in Wellington.

They note that an aversion to happiness exists in both Western and non-Western cultures, and that many cultures “shy away” from happiness.

So just how common is this "aversion to happiness"?

Melbourne psychologist Cathy Corcoran says “fear of happiness is a major problem for a lot of people”.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/are-you-afraid-of-being-happy-20140422-3711n.html#ixzz30EzLUYQ0
Back to top Go down

Hey, one percenters, are you afraid of being happy?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps & Psychology, Edumbcation, Even IndoctriNation-