HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

LOL, woman may keep her Movember mo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

LOL, woman may keep her Movember mo Vide
PostSubject: LOL, woman may keep her Movember mo   LOL, woman may keep her Movember mo Icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 1:12 am

Growing a mo for Movember has bought a lot of happiness to Sarah O'Neill
While a beard and moustache on a woman isn't something you'd normally equate with self confidence, for this individual from Hull, UK, downing her razor and allowing her facial hair to grow throughout Movember has been a bigger boost to her esteem than she ever imagined.

LOL, woman may keep her Movember mo Mo_199ftli-199ftln

Suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since 2006, Sarah O'Neill has long battled facial hair, a common side effect of the disease and normally she shaves or plucks to keep it under control. Other symptoms of PCOS include weight gain and fertility problems.

Photography YouTube: Sarah shaves before starting her Movember challenge

But, to raise awareness of both PCOS and men's health issues, she defied social convention and allowed her hair to grow for the entire month. The money she has raised will go directly to the men's charity.

She told the Daily Mail, "It was a spur of the moment decision after coming home from work feeling very embarrassed about how my facial hair had come through."

"I wanted people to know that I'm not lazy or unclean, it's just a medical condition."

“I want people to understand I’m not trying to be a man and that my facial hair is something that can’t be helped,” she told The Hull Daily Mail.

Her decision paid off: not only did she have the full support of her colleagues, but it made her more comfortable in my her own skin.

But with November drawing to a close, Sarah's left with a quandary: to shave or not to shave? In a video on her Movember site she said, "A lot of people have asked me if I'm going to keep it and the answer is, I don't know. It's kinda given me a bit of confidence and you guys, everyone who's donated have also helped me build up a lot of confidence so thank you."

"I might keep it because it's part of who I am and it's OK to be me. The only downside is I look like my brother."

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health/womens-health/article/-/20071424/woman-may-keep-her-movember-mo/
Back to top Go down

LOL, woman may keep her Movember mo

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-