HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Defying the 'dress your age' police

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Defying the 'dress your age' police Vide
PostSubject: Defying the 'dress your age' police   Defying the 'dress your age' police Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 9:04 pm

The store should have been enough to put me off. A bass-thumping sensory overload of sparkly hot pants and six-inch heels, it felt like a nightclub with shop assistants.

Defying the 'dress your age' police Jean-woods-729-620x349

But after three hours of fruitless searching for a dress for a special occasion, I was running out of options.
To my surprise, as I stood in the change room trying on a very short and very sexy black playsuit I thought, ‘‘This is the one.’’ Then, a thought I hadn’t expected: ‘‘Am I too old for this?’’

It was the first time I’d ever asked myself the question. I’d rarely thought twice about whether the clothes I bought were ‘‘age-appropriate.’’ If I liked it and it looked good, I’d wear it.

Now, in the second half of my 30s I’m beginning to doubt myself. Could I, god forbid, be entering the phase where I have to seek style advice on how to ‘‘dress your age’’?
Advertisement

It’s not as if I’m rocking up to work in midriff tops and tying my hair in pigtails but things that hadn’t occurred to me in my 20s are starting to occupy my mind when I get dressed in the morning: Is this skirt too short? Do these baseball boots and skinny jeans make me look like an ageing teenager? Have I outgrown my favourite School Geek T-shirt?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/blogs/stark-naked/defying-the-dress-your-age-police-20131127-2y9lb.html#ixzz2lzp0yjhz
Back to top Go down

Defying the 'dress your age' police

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-