View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Praiseworthy: Putnam County, NY, won't give gun info to paper  Vide
PostSubject: Praiseworthy: Putnam County, NY, won't give gun info to paper    Praiseworthy: Putnam County, NY, won't give gun info to paper  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Officials in Putnam County, N.Y., say they will reject a newspaper's request to release the names and addresses of residents with pistol permits — a move an open government advocate calls illegal.

County Clerk Dennis Sant said officials were meeting Wednesday to discuss legal options.

In December, the Journal News published online maps that allow viewers to see the names and addresses of pistol and revolver permit holders in neighboring Westchester and Rockland counties. The newspaper sought the records under the state Freedom of Information Law after the school shooting in Newtown, Conn.

Critics called the publication an invasion of privacy; some said it could endanger permit holders.

"In Putnam County, I have over 11,000 pistol permit holders, and I refuse to put their lives and their families' lives in danger," Sant told The New York Times. "When these laws were conceived, there was no social media, there was no Google maps."

State Sen. Greg Ball referred to Journal News editors as "elitist eggheads" and called the decision to publish the maps "asinine," that newspaper reported.

"I thank God that Putnam County has a clerk with the guts to stand up and draw the line here in Putnam County," said Ball, who plans to appear Thursday at a news conference with county officials.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP4dfd92bea0cf471fba1580181ddfa84d.html
Back to top Go down

Praiseworthy: Putnam County, NY, won't give gun info to paper

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Non-Miscellaneous :: Celebrate Evildoers' Inadvertent Contributions to AnCaps' Values!-