HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

No kids, no happiness? It's a myth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

No kids, no happiness? It's a myth Vide
PostSubject: No kids, no happiness? It's a myth   No kids, no happiness? It's a myth Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 3:39 am

They are straight and gay, single and married. And they have one thing in common - they are childless by choice.

No kids, no happiness? It's a myth Toart729nokids201208071

When psychology academic Bronwyn Harman, from Edith Cowan University in Western Australia, set out to uncover the truth about childlessness in Australia, she did what many researchers do to get a sample these days. She hit social media in a big way.

Her simple request must have really triggered something in the Australian psyche - the Perth researcher found that instead of getting the 30 or 40 volunteers she expected, 10 times that number responded.

Harman did the research, she says, because childlessness is a part of society that is rarely scrutinised. So busy are we decoding how families form, how children develop, and what makes a good parent, that we forget the numbers among us who choose not to have children. Never to have children.
Advertisement

Perhaps I understood that idea once. Maybe there was a time, in my teens and early twenties, when I thought ''I am too much a child myself, how can I parent them?'' That kind of self-indulgence is not the usual reason why Australians choose not to parent. Now when someone tells me they don't have kids, I say: ''Oh, I'm so sorry.'' Two researchers tell me I have some rethinking to do.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/opinion/no-kids-no-happiness-its-a-myth-20120807-23r84.html
Back to top Go down

No kids, no happiness? It's a myth

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-