View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

From Needle Stick to Cure for Hepatitis Vide
PostSubject: From Needle Stick to Cure for Hepatitis   From Needle Stick to Cure for Hepatitis Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 4:15 am

As doctors-in-training in the early 1990s, my friends and I became obsessed with the question of what we would do if we were pricked with an infected needle at work. We all had witnessed the inexorable, often painful march toward death of patients with hepatitis C and AIDS. We imagined the despair we would feel in that situation: the dashed hopes, the lost years of schooling and training. Many of us saw ourselves walking out of the hospital and not looking back. We couldn’t imagine throwing ourselves back into the fray.

From Needle Stick to Cure for Hepatitis 13chenblog480

We had not met Dr. Douglas Dieterich.

In 1977, while working in the hospital as a third-year medical student, Dr. Dieterich was accidentally stuck with a needle contaminated with hepatitis. And for the next 20 years, he struggled with regular and debilitating episodes of exhaustion, jaundice and high fevers. But he did not quit medicine. Instead Dr. Dieterich continued to train and then to practice, eventually becoming a national expert in hepatitis C, the very disease he had acquired.

Clinical trials of drugs to combat the disease, some led by Dr. Dieterich, have resulted in a better understanding of the virus that causes hepatitis C and, more recently, to cures. About 10 years ago, Dr. Dieterich himself was finally cured with one of the drug combinations that he had helped to study.

Now a professor of medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York, Dr. Dieterich said recently: “In the dark days of the 1980s, I remember being really sick and thinking, ‘Damn it. I hope I can help someone else before this virus gets me.’ Now it looks like I can. I think it’s the beginning of the end of hepatitis C; and that is one of the happiest statements I can make.”

I spoke to Dr. Dieterich about his experiences as a doctor and patient and about the outlook for patients with hepatitis C.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/from-needle-stick-to-cure-for-hepatitis/
Back to top Go down

From Needle Stick to Cure for Hepatitis

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps In Science, Technology & Environment-