HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Paralysed man uses mind-powered robot arm to touch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Paralysed man uses mind-powered robot arm to touch Vide
PostSubject: Paralysed man uses mind-powered robot arm to touch   Paralysed man uses mind-powered robot arm to touch Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 2:22 am

Giving a high-five. Rubbing his girlfriend's hand. Such ordinary acts - but a milestone for a paralysed man.

True, a robotic arm parked next to his wheelchair did the touching, painstakingly, palm to palm. But Tim Hemmes made that arm move just by thinking about it.

Emotions surged. For the first time in the seven years since a motorcycle accident left him a quadriplegic, Mr Hemmes was reaching out to someone - even if it was only temporary, part of a month-long science experiment at the University of Pittsburgh.

'It wasn't my arm but it was my brain, my thoughts. I was moving something,' Mr Hemmes says. 'I don't have one single word to give you what I felt at that moment. That word doesn't exist.' The Pennsylvania man is among the pioneers in an ambitious quest for thought-controlled prosthetics to give the paralysed more independence - the ability to feed themselves, turn a doorknob, hug a loved one.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/TechandScience/Story/STIStory_721752.html
Back to top Go down

Paralysed man uses mind-powered robot arm to touch

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps In Science, Technology & Environment-