HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

I asked about journalistic ethics and Rupert Murdoch called me a wanker

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

I asked about journalistic ethics and Rupert Murdoch called me a wanker Vide
PostSubject: I asked about journalistic ethics and Rupert Murdoch called me a wanker   I asked about journalistic ethics and Rupert Murdoch called me a wanker Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:21 am

IN 1988, while attending a conference of News Corporation editors in Aspen, Colorado, I made the mistake of raising the thorny issue of journalistic ethics. The proprietor, Rupert Murdoch, was not amused.

In short order, Murdoch, who was hosting the session, turned red, then purple, as I repeatedly asked a senior executive from his London paper The Sun whether the publication had any ethical framework. It didn't, the paper's news editor finally admitted. In most media companies that admission might have earned the executive a rebuke. But instead, I copped it, with Murdoch later dismissing me as a ''Fairfax wanker''. (For the record, I wasn't at that point; I became one 12 months later.)

I have reflected on the episode many times since, particularly this week as the News of the World phone hacking scandal went from bad to worse and then putrid.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/i-asked-about-ethics-and-rupert-called-me-a-wanker-20110709-1h7tj.html
Back to top Go down

I asked about journalistic ethics and Rupert Murdoch called me a wanker

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Non-Miscellaneous :: AnCaps With FreeStyle Miscellaneous-