View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

A $110 loan, then 20 years of debt bondage Vide
PostSubject: A $110 loan, then 20 years of debt bondage   A $110 loan, then 20 years of debt bondage Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 4:53 am

A bonded laborer named Haresh in West Bengal, India, once described to me how he took a loan of approximately $110 from the local landowner to get married to his beloved wife, Sarika.

Two decades later, Haresh told me, “My entire family is still in debt to the landowner. Sarika and I work in the fields, my sons and their wives work at the brick kilns. One day my grandchildren will work for the landowner. There is no way to repay these debts. We will only be free when we die.”

Haresh had no real sense of what his outstanding debts were. Since his initial loan, he had taken numerous loans from the same landowner for basic subsistence, medicines, repairs to his hut and other reasons.
He was also charged interest that often exceeded 100% per year. Destitute and isolated, Haresh could not access any other source of credit. He and his family were forced to work 14 or more hours a day by the landowner, almost every day of the year, with barely enough food and water to survive.

Haresh’s story is an example of the millions of bonded laborers across South Asia. Like Haresh, many bonded laborers have been in bondage for much of their lives. Others enter in and out of bondage several times; and still others enter in and out of bondage every year for seasonal industries, such as agriculture and brick-making. These individuals take loans and try to work them off, but due to deeply exploitive manipulations by their exploiters, they end up toiling against these small debts for years.

It is important to understand: bonded labor is a form of slavery prohibited by international and South Asian law. However, bonded labor remains an ever-evolving, highly complicated mode of labor exploitation that persists in broad daylight.

More: ANCAPS: ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Back to top Go down

A $110 loan, then 20 years of debt bondage

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps' Laissez-faire Free Trade Zone-