HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Via Ancaps: How the anti-nuclear lobby misled us all with dodgy claims

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Via Ancaps: How the anti-nuclear lobby misled us all with dodgy claims  Vide
PostSubject: Via Ancaps: How the anti-nuclear lobby misled us all with dodgy claims    Via Ancaps: How the anti-nuclear lobby misled us all with dodgy claims  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 4:05 am

When the facts don't suit, the movement resorts to the folly of cover-up allegations.

Over the past fortnight I've made a deeply troubling discovery. The anti-nuclear movement to which I once belonged has misled the world about the impacts of radiation on human health. The claims we have made are ungrounded in science, unsupportable when challenged, and wildly wrong. We have done other people, and ourselves, a terrible disservice.

I began to see the extent of the problem after a debate last week with Helen Caldicott, the world's foremost anti-nuclear campaigner. She has received 21 honorary degrees and scores of awards.

In the debate she made some striking statements about the dangers of radiation. I asked for the sources. Caldicott's response has profoundly shaken me.

First she sent me nine documents: newspaper articles, press releases and an advertisement. None were scientific publications; none contained sources for the claims she had made. But one of the press releases referred to a report by the US National Academy of Sciences, which she urged me to read. I have now done so. It supports none of the statements I questioned; in fact, it strongly contradicts her claims about the health effects of radiation.

ANCAPS: ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Back to top Go down

Via Ancaps: How the anti-nuclear lobby misled us all with dodgy claims

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps In Science, Technology & Environment-