AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Non-Existent Transparency of the thieving I.R.S.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Non-Existent Transparency of the thieving I.R.S. Vide
PostSubject: Non-Existent Transparency of the thieving I.R.S.   Non-Existent Transparency of the thieving I.R.S. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 6:11 am

To the Editor:

There is another side to your report about how the Internal Revenue Service is about to require large corporations to disclose their uncertain tax positions (“Uncovering Tax Tactics, With Help,” Business Day, Aug. 25).

The I.R.S. considers its effort a needed move toward transparency. But at the I.R.S., transparency means one thing for taxpayers and another for itself.

Years of litigation under the Freedom of Information Act by the organization I head show how hard the I.R.S. has fought to keep its rulings on how it applies tax laws in particular cases a secret.

The I.R.S. commissioner, Douglas H. Shulman, says he hopes the new rules will encourage companies to more readily seek I.R.S. rulings about the legality of their tax positions. Fine. But will the I.R.S. make its rulings public so that the rest of us can see how it is applying the tax law?

Sadly, the answer is probably no. That’s the history of I.R.S. transparency.

Christopher Bergin
President and Publisher
Tax Analysts

ANCAPS: ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Back to top Go down

Non-Existent Transparency of the thieving I.R.S.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps' Laissez-faire Free Trade Zone-